Our Big 12 Week 8 power rankings:
1. TCU (previous ranking 1): The Horned Frogs remain the league's only unbeaten team and took care of business Saturday by dominating Kansas 43-0. They are currently the league's best shot at the College Football Playoff.
2. Oklahoma (2): The Sooners got a scare from Kansas State, trailing by double digits at one point, but were able to come from behind to notch a 42-35 victory to keep their hopes intact. Now Texas Tech comes to Norman on Saturday before Bedlam on Nov. 4.
3. Oklahoma State (3): The Cowboys won a game they probably shouldn't have thanks to an impressive defensive effort, allowing them to escape Austin with a 13-10 overtime win over Texas. A difficult three-game stretch continues Saturday at West Virginia.
4. Iowa State (7): The Cyclones are looking good, notching their fifth victory of the season in solid fashion, 31-13 at Texas Tech. The defense was stout and coach Matt Campbell has them a win away from bowl eligibility and -- much more important -- still in the thick of the Big 12 title-game race, tied with Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and West Virginia at 3-1 in league play.
5. West Virginia (4): The Mountaineers got a win at Baylor, but not without a fight. A 31-13 lead evaporated and West Virginia had to hang on to escape with a 38-36 victory over the winless Bears. Regardless, the Mountaineers are still in the thick of things in the conference race, with a key battle coming up Saturday when Oklahoma State visits.
6. Texas (5): Once again, the Longhorns came close to a big win before falling just short. The opportunities were there after they held Oklahoma State's offense to 13 points, but an inept running game and a game-ending interception thrown by Sam Ehlinger negated those chances. The Longhorns are 3-4 and now simply trying to get to a bowl game.
7. Kansas State (8): A valiant effort by the Wildcats, but they fell short of upsetting Oklahoma. They've now lost three in a row and are 1-3 in league play.
8. Texas Tech (6): After sneaking into the national rankings a couple weeks ago, the Red Raiders dropped a game at West Virginia, then were beaten soundly at home by Iowa State. A promising start is in danger of ebbing away, with the Red Raiders holding only one conference victory and a game at Oklahoma coming up.
9. Baylor (9): The Bears are still searching for their first win after falling to West Virginia, but they showed some impressive fight down the stretch, coming back from down 18 to come within a two-point conversion of sending the game to overtime.
10. Kansas (10): The Jayhawks played TCU tightly the past couple seasons, but not this year as they shut out by the Horned Frogs on Saturday. They had a hard time managing positive yardage (they had negative total offense all the way into the fourth quarter) and finished with only 21 offensive yards.