<
>

Saunders, Alvarez, Jacobs II? Who Gennady Golovkin could fight next

play
After Gennady Golovkin defeat of Daniel Jacobs, what's next for the two (0:59)

After Gennady Golovkin defeat of Daniel Jacobs, what's next for the two middleweights? Dan Rafael has some answers. Video by Andres Ferrari (0:59)

After Daniel Jacobs ended his nine-year, 23-fight knockout streak on Saturday, what is next for the world's No. 1 middleweight Gennady Golovkin? ESPN looks at those on the wanted list.

1. Billy Joe Saunders

The Briton is most likely to be Golovkin's next opponent, in his homeland Kazakhstan on June 10.

California-based Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) has not fought in Kazakhstan since 2010 and wants Saunders' WBO world title -- the only belt not in his hands.

"This [Saunders] is my dream fight," said GGG.

"My goal is all the belts in the division. Billy Joe is my last step, my dream. I want this fight.

"Hopefully this fight will be in Kazakhstan -- 100 percent I would like that."

Saunders (24-0, 12 KOS) would also like that, it seems, after an inactive, unproductive and disappointing reign as world champion. The 27-year-old defeated Irishman Andy Lee on points in Dec. 2015, but since then has only fought once -- a points win over little-known Artur Akavov when he looked fortunate to hold on to his title, last December.

After so much time off and based on recent form, Saunders would go into a fight with Triple G a big underdog. But that does not concern Saunders.

"I'm not bothered about fighting him in Kazakhstan, I'll fight him in a field for all I care," said Saunders, who is now being trained by Adam Booth.

"He wants the WBO belt and I'm willing to put it on the line. Golovkin is strong but a boxer always beats a puncher and he's never faced anyone as tricky as me."

Southpaw Saunders was encouraged by Jacobs' display and how the American caused Golovkin problems by switching stances.

"Jacobs gave him a real fight but he isn't in my class when I'm on form," said Saunders.

Golovkin's promoter Tom Loeffler says the O2 Arena in London is also an option to host a unification fight with Saunders, after 20,000 tickets sold out in 11 minutes when Golovkin fought Briton Kell Brook there last year.

But it seems likely that, if the pair meet it, will be in Astana, capital of Kazakhstan, to coincide with the opening of the World Expo -- one of Golovkin's sponsors on Saturday -- there.

It would be of huge interest in Kazakhstan, but many boxing fans around the world would prefer to see Triple G against someone else.

2. Canelo Alvarez

Fight fans desperate to see Golovkin and Canelo in the ring together, which would be boxing's biggest fight since Floyd Mayweather Jr versus Manny Pacquiao in May 2015, will have to wait a little longer.

Mexican Alvarez fights countryman Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. on May 6 and if Golovkin beats Saunders a month later, then the big fight could be on for September.

But talks have broke down before, with Golovkin giving up his WBC world middleweight title last year to then step down a division and win the WBO super-welterweight title rather than face Golovkin.

Canelo's promoter Oscar De La Hoya says the fight will happen and, if it does, it will be in September.

"Everybody wants this fight, I'm ready," said Golovkin.

3. Daniel Jacobs

After such a spirited and clever display, that proved the experts wrong, there will be interest to see American Jacobs take on Golovkin again.

Jacobs (32-2, 29 KOs) recovered from a fourth-round knockdown and confused Triple G by switching stances through the fight. He returned fire when others have crumbled, and many even had him winning the fight.

Jacobs ended the invincible aura around Golovkin, which makes marketing a rematch an easy job.

But Jacobs, 30, may have to bide his time and hope Triple G comes through against Saunders before he can go for revenge. If New Yorker Jacobs is to get a second fight with Golovkin before 2018, much depends upon whether a fight with Canelo can be made this year.

"There were many times during the fight I went toe-to-toe because I knew I could," said Jacobs about Saturday's points loss.

"I got back up, and I thought I won the fight."

4. Miguel Cotto

The popular Puerto Rican is looking for one more big pay day at the end of a brilliant career that has seen him win world titles in four divisions. Could it be against Golovkin?

Cotto is the big name that Golovkin has so far lacked on his record, but Cotto will likely have to wait until next year if he wants it.

Cotto, 36, has not fought since losing the lineal middleweight title to Alvarez in November 2015. He was due to return against James Kirkland last month, but the show was cancelled when Kirkland was injured in training.

There is speculation that Cotto (40-5, 33 KOs) could now fight Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez next, and he remains behind others on the list of who Triple G wants for later in 2017.

5. Chris Eubank Jr

Despite pulling out of fighting Golovkin in London last September with the contract on the table, opting instead for an easy fight, Eubank Jr (24-1, 19 KOs) has not stopped calling for a shot at Triple G.

Fans and promoters may question whether the Briton is serious and, after turning down the chance last year, he is a long shot to face Golovkin in the next year.

Forcing a fight through a mandatory position remains Eubank's best hope -- but he has gone missing from the WBA's latest list after stepping up to super-middleweight for his last fight. The Brighton-based boxer is the No. 5 middleweight with the IBF.

Others that could be in the frame if a deal with Saunders can not be agreed include Canadian David Lemieux (37-3, 33 KOs), who put himself back into contention with a recent thrashing of Curtis Stevens after being stopped in eight by Golovkin in October 2015; Irishman Andy Lee (35-3-1, 24 KOs), who boxed for the first time in 15 months on the undercard of Golovkin-Jacobs, and Frenchman Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam (35-2, 21 KOs).