<
>

LIVE Transfer Talk: Manchester United make Napoli's Koulibaly their No. 1 target for the summer

play
Nicol: Man United should've signed Ighalo 4 years ago (1:44)

Steve Nicol says Man United adding Odion Ighalo shows the club's desperation and its declining brand power. (1:44)

The winter transfer window is closed -- but now it's time to look ahead to the summer! Here are the new rumours floating around following the Jan. 31 deadline day:

- Transfer grades: Man United get a 'D' for Ighalo
- Miller: The good, the bad, and ... Man United
- O'Hanlon: How Liverpool dominate transfer 'value'

TOP STORY: Man United still keen on Koulibaly

Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly remains Manchester United's No. 1 transfer target, according to the Mirror, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side set to step up their attempts to sign the Senegal international in the summer.

The 28-year-old has been identified as the perfect defensive partner for £80 million summer signing Harry Maguire, and despite failing to secure a deal for the former Genk man in the past two transfer windows, the Red Devils are confident that a move will be completed in the close season.

French-born Koulibaly is reportedly open to a move to the Premier League, and Chelsea are also rumoured to be interested in the player, along with Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid, and any move to Old Trafford is dependent on United qualifying for next season's Champions League.

A deal for Koulibaly is set to cost around £90m.

LIVE BLOG

20.30 GMT: MLS side Chicago Fire are set to sign Dejan Ljubicic from Austrian Bundesliga side Rapid Vienna, according to a report by the Austrian paper Kurier. If completed, the move would be the Fire's second ex-Rapid Vienna player to join, following Robert Beric from Saint-Etienne.

19.45 GMT: Will Mexico international Rodolfo Pizarro make the move to Inter Miami from Monterrey? Rayados sporting director Duilio Davino says Pizarro is interested in that Florida life, but the transfer will depend on the MLS club's matching the player's buy-out clause.

18.30 GMT: Real Madrid and Barcelona will wage a battle for Lille star Victor Osimhen, according to French outlet Le10 Sport. The Nigerian playmaker has made his mark in Ligue 1 in just half a season after a stellar campaign last year at Belgian side Charleroi. Now it seems both the Spanish capital club and the Catalans will revisit Osimhen in the summer after some initial feelers were sent out during the winter window.

17.30 GMT: PSG star Kylian Mbappe had a public spat with manager Thomas Tuchel after he was substituted in the side's 5-0 win over Montpellier on Saturday, calling the pair's relationship into question.

ESPN FC's Craig Burley and Shaka Hislop weigh in on what it could mean for the Ligue 1 leaders.

16.50 GMT: Lazio manager Simone Inzaghi has said that adding Chelsea striker Olivier Giroud in the January transfer window "would not have hurt" after his side earnt a 5-1 victory over SPAL on Sunday, according to Italian news outlet La Gazzetta.

The Italian boss said that he did not want to sign Giroud to be a second place striker, adding that the Frenchmen would not affect the playing time of his three existing strikes.

14.52 GMT: Willian would prefer to sign a new contract with Chelsea than join Barcelona, sources have told ESPN.

The Brazil international, 31, will become a free agent at the end of the season and can talk to clubs from outside England now with a view to joining them in the summer.

But sources have told ESPN there is no agreement in place with Barcelona. Willian's first choice is to remain in the Premier League with Chelsea because he is settled in England and so are his family.

ESPN has been told that four clubs have expressed an interest in Willian, who joined Chelsea in 2013.

13.26 GMT: Odion Ighalo has landed!

Manchester United's newest addition Ighalo has arrived in the U.K. to join up with his teammates after arriving on loan from China until the end of the season, Sky Sports have reported.

12.30 GMT: Manchester United new arrival Bruno Fernandes was a silver lining in a dull goalless draw for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side on Saturday, says ESPN FC's Shaka Hislop.

play
1:17

Can Tuchel & Mbappe co-exist at PSG?

Craig Burley and Shaka Hislop react to Kylian Mbappe's scrap with Thomas Tuchel after being subbed off.

11.46 GMT: Juventus are lining up a whopping £150m world record bid this summer for Liverpool star Virgil Van Dijk, according to the Sun.

Van Dijk became the world's most expensive defender when he moved to Anfield from Southampton for £75m in 2018, with the reported offer being lined up by Juventus set to double that figure.

The Sun reports that the 28-year-old Netherlands international may be open to a move abroad if Liverpool win the title this season.

10.55 GMT: Odion Ighalo will be an "important" signing for Manchester United, according to manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

The 30-year-old former Watford striker has signed a deal to spend the rest of the season at Old Trafford and despite some surprise at the deadline day move, Solskjaer insists the Nigeria international will play a key role between now and May.

"He's a different type of striker," said Solskjaer following the 0-0 draw with Wolves at Old Trafford on Saturday. "He's a proven goalscorer, a physical presence. It gives us a chance to rest Mason [Greenwood] and Anthony [Martial] at times.

"We want go far in the Europa League and the FA Cup. it was important that we'll have another type of striker to use with Marcus [Rashford] out for a little while."

- Udoh: Ighalo can offer United more than goals

10.00 GMT: Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has spoken out after the club failed to land Edinson Cavani during the January transfer window.

"I think it's shameful the situation of some players with their agents and relatives" he said, speaking after Atletico's 1-0 defeat to Real Madrid on Saturday. "We're not here to be robbed."

Sources have told ESPN that Atletico were unwilling to meet Paris Saint-Germain's €20m asking price for the Uruguay centre-forward, who is out of contract this summer.

PSG would have let Cavani, 32, go in January if Atletico could have gone a little further, but the Ligue 1 club's sporting director Leonardo was unwilling to compromise, and the Uruguay international's brother ultimately left Madrid with no deal complete.

Later in the day, Cavani's brother and agent Walter Guglielmone responded to the accusations of the the Atleti president.

"The most important is what Edi did to leave," Guglielmone said. "Do you think he went one month without playing so that I could capsize the whole thing over a commission and stop his dream from coming to fruition?

"What about all the fuss we made with PSG? If it was a question of money, Edi would have gone to England -- Chelsea or Manchester. Atletico could not support the economic cost of the operation and PSG would not budge from their demands. Neither party could reach an agreement."

PAPER TALK (by James Capps): Arsenal block Ozil's deadline day departure

The Mirror writes that an unnamed club in the Middle East made a deadline-day approach for Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil, but the Gunners reluctantly turned down the bid.

Reports claim both Ozil and Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta were open to the move, with the north Londoners keen to rid the German from their bulging wage bill. However, the timing of the bid meant Arteta & Co. would've had no time to dip into the market to source a replacement, meaning a deal couldn't be done.

The Mirror also discusses Arsenal's failure to bring targets into the club in January, with the club missing out on deals for midfielder Dani Olmo and winger Yannick Carrasco, with the duo instead joining RB Leipzig and Atletico Madrid, respectively.

Rakitic-Bernardeschi swap deal collapses

Calciomercato reports that a swap deal that would've seen Juventus' Federico Bernardeschi move to Barcelona, with Barca midfielder Ivan Rakitic heading the other way, collapsed on the final day of the January transfer window.

Juve boss Maurizio Sarri gave the green light to the deal after growing increasingly frustrated at Bernardeschi's performances this season, but discussions over the valuation of 31-year-old Rakitic caused the deal to break down.

AC Milan were also interested in a deal for Italy international Bernardeschi, after loaning out Suso to La Liga side Sevilla, but that particular deal failed to get off the ground because of Bernardeschi's lucrative salary in Turin, and with the Rossoneri looking to slash their wage bill, it quickly became apparent that a deal couldn't be reached in the short amount of time they had.

Tap-ins

- Qatar-based Al Sadd missed out on a deadline day deal to sign Parma's former Arsenal winger Gervinho, but Tuttosport reports that the Qatar Stars League champions will return for the 32-year-old in the summer. The Ivory Coast international has scored four goals in 17 Serie A games this season.

- AC Milan are another club making plans ahead of the summer transfer window, and according to Calciomercato, the Rossoneri are lining up a move for young Lyon full-back Pierre Kalulu. The 19-year-old could be available on a free transfer, with the Frenchman yet to agree a new deal with the Ligue 1 club.

- Despite missing out on a January swoop for Chelsea striker Olivier Giroud, Inter Milan and Lazio are set to do battle again over the France international when his contract at Stamford Bridge expires, according to Gazzetta dello Sport. With the 33-year-old having just six months remaining on his deal in west London, he is free to discuss his next move with prospective clubs.